Mozambique women caught trying to smuggle drugs worth Rs 15cr
Mumbai: Two female Mozambique nationals were on Monday arrested from the international airport here for allegedly trying to smuggle out 30 kgs of Methaqualone drugs valued at Rs 15 crores, a senior Customs official said.
The duo -- Mulima Anifa Raimundo Xavier (33) and Mate Ineida Noemia De Assuncao (36) -- was intercepted on suspicion at Chhatrapati Shivaji international airport in the wee hours today said the official of Air Intelligence Unit of the Customs.
The two were scheduled to depart on a Kenya Airways flight to Gaborone of Republic of Botswana via Nairobi of Kenya, the official added.
Upon checking their luggage, 30 kgs of Methaqualone drugs valued at Rs 15 crores were discovered in 60 sarees packed in two bags, the official said, adding "500 grams of drugs was concealed in each saree."
The two were subsequently arrested under relevant sections of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- If you survive in Mumbai cricket, you get rewarded: Shardul Thakur on maiden Test call-up
- Shah Rukh Khan remembers his school days, wonders how time has changed! Details inside
- Rio Olympics: Sachin Tendulkar meets wrestlers ahead of quadrennial event, boosts morale
- IPL 2016: Shane Watson reprimanded for using offensive language during match against Delhi Daredevils
- Photo alert! Aamir Khan dines with 'X-Men' star Ian McKellen