MPCC to test strength in local bodies polls before going alone
Mumbai: Maharashtra Pradesh Congress
Committee (MPCC) president Manikrao Thakre on Monday stressed the
need to approach the upcoming elections to local bodies and
municipal corporations as a precursor to going alone in the
Addressing a meeting of District Congress Committee
Chiefs (DCC), Thakre said grassroot workers and leaders should
begin preparations to face the electorate in 27 zilla parishad
and 10 municipal corporations including Mumbai slated to be
held between September this year and March 2012.
According to him, if the party wins many Zilla Parishads
and corporations and strengthens itself, Congress would be in
a position to contest the assembly elections on its own.
"We have to work hard to ensure that our party is able
to fight the elections on our own", he added.
AICC secretary Mohan Prakash said the state unit needs
to galvanise itself in assembly constituencies held by the
NCP, BJP and Shiv Sena.
Thakre said the Youth Congress membership drive had
concluded last week enrolling 19.5 lakh members.
He also said the "Jan jagran abhiyaan" will be
revived in a big way to connect with the masses.
Sources said DCC presidents complained about Congress
Ministers not devoting adequate time to the organisational
activities. Mohan Prakash said directives would be issued to
Ministers in this regard, Sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department