MPCC to test strength in local bodies polls before going alone
Mumbai: Maharashtra Pradesh Congress
Committee (MPCC) president Manikrao Thakre on Monday stressed the
need to approach the upcoming elections to local bodies and
municipal corporations as a precursor to going alone in the
Addressing a meeting of District Congress Committee
Chiefs (DCC), Thakre said grassroot workers and leaders should
begin preparations to face the electorate in 27 zilla parishad
and 10 municipal corporations including Mumbai slated to be
held between September this year and March 2012.
According to him, if the party wins many Zilla Parishads
and corporations and strengthens itself, Congress would be in
a position to contest the assembly elections on its own.
"We have to work hard to ensure that our party is able
to fight the elections on our own", he added.
AICC secretary Mohan Prakash said the state unit needs
to galvanise itself in assembly constituencies held by the
NCP, BJP and Shiv Sena.
Thakre said the Youth Congress membership drive had
concluded last week enrolling 19.5 lakh members.
He also said the "Jan jagran abhiyaan" will be
revived in a big way to connect with the masses.
Sources said DCC presidents complained about Congress
Ministers not devoting adequate time to the organisational
activities. Mohan Prakash said directives would be issued to
Ministers in this regard, Sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...