MP`s fast for higher sugarcane price continues
Pune: The fast undertaken by farmers` leader
and MP Raju Shetty at Baramati, the home town of union
agriculture minister Sharad Pawar, demanding hike in sugarcane
procurement prices continued for the second day on Tuesday.
Shetty`s "Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana” has demanded a
price of Rs 2,350 per quintal for the sugarcane purchased by
sugar cooperative factories from growers.
Hundreds of agitating farmers reached Baramati yesterday
after a six day "Padayatra" led by Shetty which commenced
from the pilgrim town of Pandharpur.
Shetty who has declared his resolve to continue the fast
till the state government agreed to his demand, today said he
had not received any invitation for talks so far but welcomed
reports that the Minister for Cooperation Harshavardhan Patil
was willing to hold talks with the agitating farmers.
Addressing his supporters, he said Pawar was the senior
most political leader in the state and should intervene to
settle the demands of sugarcane growers in the state as he had
a "powerful hold" on the cooperative sugar sector in
Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chavan had
yesterday said that a "practical solution" was needed to
settle the issue as the price to be paid to the growers
depended on the price fetched by the final product-sugar.
Shetty also alleged that police were resorting to
"repressive" measures to disperse the agitating farmers
camping with him in Baramati in support of his fast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi