MPs support Navi Mumbai airport
Mumbai: Emphasising the need of a second
airport for the city, MPs from Mumbai today supported the
proposed Navi Mumbai airport.
The controversy over proposed Navi Mumbai airport was the
major issue of discussion in today`s meeting held here between
the state MPs and Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, prior to the
winter session of the Parliament and the state Legislature.
"The proposed Navi Mumbai airport is an important project
for the city and all the Mumbai MPs supported it, there was no
opposition," Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam said.
On objections related to the environment, Nirupam said he
demanded that the environment impact report be shared with the
MPs so that the issue can be raised in the Parliament.
Shiv Sena MP Manohar Joshi, who raised the issue in the
meeting, pointed out that Union Environment Minister Jairam
Ramesh and Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel both belong to
the same party but have differences of opinion.
Chavan said the State Government is pursuing the matter
with the Centre and the issue would be sorted out soon,
The issue of eco-sensitive zones was also discussed after
the Western Ghat Committee stalled few development projects in
"We demanded that the Centre should speak to the state
before declaring eco-sensitive zones, as the construction and
development works are prohibited in the areas," Kolhapur MP of
Swabhiman Shetkari Sanghatana, Raju Shetty said.
It was also suggested that a convener committee be formed
to push and take follow ups of the development works in the
It was decided that the IAS officials would do the job
on regular basis and also coordinate with the MPs, NCP MP
Sanjay Patil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad