MPs support Navi Mumbai airport
Mumbai: Emphasising the need of a second
airport for the city, MPs from Mumbai today supported the
proposed Navi Mumbai airport.
The controversy over proposed Navi Mumbai airport was the
major issue of discussion in today`s meeting held here between
the state MPs and Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, prior to the
winter session of the Parliament and the state Legislature.
"The proposed Navi Mumbai airport is an important project
for the city and all the Mumbai MPs supported it, there was no
opposition," Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam said.
On objections related to the environment, Nirupam said he
demanded that the environment impact report be shared with the
MPs so that the issue can be raised in the Parliament.
Shiv Sena MP Manohar Joshi, who raised the issue in the
meeting, pointed out that Union Environment Minister Jairam
Ramesh and Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel both belong to
the same party but have differences of opinion.
Chavan said the State Government is pursuing the matter
with the Centre and the issue would be sorted out soon,
The issue of eco-sensitive zones was also discussed after
the Western Ghat Committee stalled few development projects in
"We demanded that the Centre should speak to the state
before declaring eco-sensitive zones, as the construction and
development works are prohibited in the areas," Kolhapur MP of
Swabhiman Shetkari Sanghatana, Raju Shetty said.
It was also suggested that a convener committee be formed
to push and take follow ups of the development works in the
It was decided that the IAS officials would do the job
on regular basis and also coordinate with the MPs, NCP MP
Sanjay Patil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert