MPSC recruited men in women`s quota, PIL alleges
Mumbai: A public interest litigation (PIL) filed before the Bombay High Court has challenged recruitment by the Maharashtra Public Service Commission for the posts of Town Planner in the Urban Land Development Department.
Of the 20 openings, ten were reserved for women, however not a single woman was appointed despite 68 women applying, and male candidates were appointed to the ten posts, petitioner Sunil Kate alleges.
Also, a person not having any sports credentials was appointed in the sports category, the PIL says.
The division bench headed by Justice AM Khanvilkar on Wednesday asked Kate to add the candidates who were allegedly recruited wrongly as respondents, and posted the matter for hearing after two weeks, said Kate`s lawyer Machhindra Patil.
MPSC had issued the advertisement for these 20 posts on August 11, 2008.
Kate says he had sought information about the recruitment under Right to Information Act, but MPSC did not furnish complete information. He moved RTI appellate authority which turned down the appeal. His appeal before the information commissioner is pending.
Another objection raised by the PIL is that MPSC filled up the posts through interviews, when the advertisement had stated there would be a written test.
The petition also states that Kate had approached Secretary, Urban Land Development Department, on the issue, as also the Chief Minister of Maharashtra and Director General of Police, but there was no response.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown