MS Yusufi: Police traces foreign objects in 25 goats
Mumbai: X-ray reports of 25 goats seized from the dhow MSV Yusufi, intercepted off Mumbai coast recently, revealed that five of them carried foreign objects, police said Tuesday.
"Five of the 25 goats have foreign objects inside their bodies. Surgery on them by veterinary doctors would ascertain what had been implanted," a senior police officer said.
The police suspects that those arrested on board the vessel had tried to smuggle in drugs or microchip-like electronic goods by implanting them in goats.
On April 3, MSV Yusufi, allegedly smuggling cigarettes and 31 goats from Dubai, besides a banned satellite phone, was intercepted off the city coast by the Coast Guard, which also arrested five Indians on board.
Six goats were thrown into the sea after they died.
The crew was in touch with somebody identified as Usman, for whom these goods were being ferried to Mumbai by the vessel.
After investigating for a few days, the city police nabbed one Usman Ghanchi, the alleged handler of the dhow.
MSV Yusufi had left Dubai shores on March 28 with 450 cartons of cigarettes, 31 goats, two television sets and one tablet, according to Coast Guard officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees