MS Yusufi: Police traces foreign objects in 25 goats
Mumbai: X-ray reports of 25 goats seized from the dhow MSV Yusufi, intercepted off Mumbai coast recently, revealed that five of them carried foreign objects, police said Tuesday.
"Five of the 25 goats have foreign objects inside their bodies. Surgery on them by veterinary doctors would ascertain what had been implanted," a senior police officer said.
The police suspects that those arrested on board the vessel had tried to smuggle in drugs or microchip-like electronic goods by implanting them in goats.
On April 3, MSV Yusufi, allegedly smuggling cigarettes and 31 goats from Dubai, besides a banned satellite phone, was intercepted off the city coast by the Coast Guard, which also arrested five Indians on board.
Six goats were thrown into the sea after they died.
The crew was in touch with somebody identified as Usman, for whom these goods were being ferried to Mumbai by the vessel.
After investigating for a few days, the city police nabbed one Usman Ghanchi, the alleged handler of the dhow.
MSV Yusufi had left Dubai shores on March 28 with 450 cartons of cigarettes, 31 goats, two television sets and one tablet, according to Coast Guard officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city