MS Yusufi: Police traces foreign objects in 25 goats
Mumbai: X-ray reports of 25 goats seized from the dhow MSV Yusufi, intercepted off Mumbai coast recently, revealed that five of them carried foreign objects, police said Tuesday.
"Five of the 25 goats have foreign objects inside their bodies. Surgery on them by veterinary doctors would ascertain what had been implanted," a senior police officer said.
The police suspects that those arrested on board the vessel had tried to smuggle in drugs or microchip-like electronic goods by implanting them in goats.
On April 3, MSV Yusufi, allegedly smuggling cigarettes and 31 goats from Dubai, besides a banned satellite phone, was intercepted off the city coast by the Coast Guard, which also arrested five Indians on board.
Six goats were thrown into the sea after they died.
The crew was in touch with somebody identified as Usman, for whom these goods were being ferried to Mumbai by the vessel.
After investigating for a few days, the city police nabbed one Usman Ghanchi, the alleged handler of the dhow.
MSV Yusufi had left Dubai shores on March 28 with 450 cartons of cigarettes, 31 goats, two television sets and one tablet, according to Coast Guard officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read