MSRDC seeks funds to safeguard Bandra-Worli bridge
Mumbai: Maharashtra State Road Development
Corporation (MSRDC) has asked the state government to grant
funds to procure security gadgets for the safeguard of the
state-of-the-art Bandra-Worli Sea Link from terror attack.
The Corporation has written to the state Home Ministry
and Public Works Department to grant funds to install
mobile-gantry-based explosive scanners on the bridge.
"...we had written to the PWD and Home department seeking
funds for the safeguard of the engineering marvel...Once the
funds are sanctioned, we will procure the required security
gadgets and install them at the bridge," vice chairman and
MSRDC Managing Director Satish Gawai said.
The Rajeev Gandhi Sea Link, built at a cost of around Rs
1,600 crore, was inaugurated in June between Bandra and Worli
in Central Mumbai.
City police chief D Sivanandan in July had asked MSRDC to
take appropriate steps to secure the cable-stayed bridge from
the possibility of terror attack. He had asked the Corporation
to install mobile-gantry-based explosive scanners at either
end of the bridge as terrorists may use explosive laden cars
for staging an attack especially in the cable-stayed portion
of the sealink.
The bridge has an average daily traffic of around 25,000
vehicles. It connects Bandra and the western suburbs of Mumbai
with Worli and central Mumbai and has reduced the travel time
between Bandra and Worli from 45 minutes to seven minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand