MSRDC to take steps to secure Bandra-Worli Sealink: Sivanandan
Mumbai: Mumbai police has asked the Maharashtra
State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) to take appropriate
steps to secure the newly-constructed Bandra-Worli Sealink
from the possibility of a "spectacular" terror attack.
The city Police Commissioner, D Sivanandan, has asked the
MSRDC to install mobile/gantry-based explosive scanners on
the bridge, constructed at a cost of Rs 1,600-crore.
"The terrorists may/can use explosive laden cars for
staging a spectacular attack (especially in the cable-stayed
portion of the sealink)," Sivanandan said in a letter to
Satish Gawai, vice-chairman of the MSRDC.
The letter, dated July 27, stated, "It is necessary to
install mobile/gantry-based (human-safe) explosive scanners at
either end of the sealink. Such scanners are presently used
by the sea ports for scanning."
He also suggested that no vehicle should be allowed to be
stopped near the cable-stayed area.
Sivanandan also emphasised on the need to deploy dog
squads at the eight-lane wide and five-km long sea link.
"There is a need for six dog squads that sniff explosives,"
the letter reads.
The bridge, named after late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi,
has an average traffic of around 25,000 vehicles on weekdays.
Gawai said they have asked the state government to grant
funds to procure the equipment suggested by police.
The cable-stayed bridge has reduced the travel time
between Bandra and Worli from 45-60 minutes to seven minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says