Mum blasts: CID begins probe into Usmani`s death
Mumbai: The CID on Monday began its inquiry
into the death of Fiaz Usmani -- the brother of an alleged
Indian Mujahideen member -- who passed away in a hospital
yesterday following questioning by the crime branch sleuths in
connection with July 13 serial bomb blasts.
Fiaz was the brother of Afzal Usmani, currently lodged in
jail for his alleged role in 2008 Gujarat blasts.
The CID inquiry was ordered by Maharashtra Director
General of Police after Usmani`s family alleged that he was
tortured while in police custody.
The statements of Usmani`s family members, as well that
of Chembur Crime Branch unit in-charge Sripad Kale, were yet
to be recorded, a CID official said.
Meanwhile, Mumbai`s Deputy Police Commissioner (Crime)
Nisar Tamboli described Usmani`s death as "unfortunate" and
said "it is natural for any person to make allegations when
a family-member dies.
We had brought him from his Govandi residence for
questioning on Saturday but Usmani did not appear to be tense
or anxious. About 20 to 25 minutes after he was brought to the
Chembur crime branch unit, he felt unwell after which he was
immediately rushed to Shatabadi hospital."
"Doctors at Shatabadi hospital advised us to take him
to Sion hospital and there was no delay on the part of police
in taking him to the hospital and we provided all possible
medical assistance to Usmani", Tamboli added.
The controversy over Fiaz`s death has caused a setback to
investigations into the blasts, a police officer said on the
condition of anonymity.
Altogether 19 persons were killed and over 130 were
injured as blasts ripped through crowded areas of Zaveri
bazaar, Opera house and Dadar West on July 13. So far, no one
has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?