Mum: Burglar brothers charged under MCOCA
New Delhi: A man and his brother, allegedly
involved in over two dozen criminal cases of burglary, thefts robbery and snatching etc since 1996, have been charged with stringent provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge Savita Rao charged Mohd Shadab, facing prosecution in over 24 criminal cases and his brother
Mohd Wasi, allegedly involved in at least 29 such cases, under
MCOCA for committing burglary, robbery, thefts and preparing
for dacoity with a well-organised gang of accomplices.
"Accused have been found to be involved in more than 24
and 29 cases (respectively) which itself suggest that ordinary
law of land had not been able to put a curb on their
"The offences pertaining to robbery coupled with violence
and threat of violence along with their conduct with respect
to their involvement in continuing unlawful activities are
sufficient to prima facie opine against them with respect to
framing of charge (under MCOCA)," ASJ Rao said.
As per the prosecution case, Shadab and Wasi had robbed some people of Rs 20.75 lakh in 2008, while also injuring them.
The police had alleged Shadab is a "high profile" burglar
with a well-organised gang of accomplices, primarily his
brother Wasi, with whose help he committed burglary, robbery
and thefts by using violence and that both have "spread fear
psychosis and terror" among people.
The court said the use of violence by the duo was apparent
from the cases pending against them in various city courts.
The court rejected the contention of the accused that they
cannot be charged under MCOCA since the essential element of
pecuniary advantage is missing.
"The pecuniary gain is inherent and is the reason for
commission of the offences pertaining to robbery, theft and
even burglary," the ASJ said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire