Mumbai: 1 killed in landslide, MeT forecasts very heavy rains
Mumbai: A six-year-old boy was on Thursday killed in a landslide at suburban Chembur following heavy rainfall lashing the city for last 48 hours, a civic official said.
The boy, a resident of Mahul village near Vashi Naka in Chembur East, was killed this morning when the hut in which he was sleeping was destroyed in a landslide that occurred in the area, an official of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) said.
The deceased has been identified as Ganesh Kumar Korade, he said.
There were around six hutments of slum dwellers in the area which were destroyed in the mishap. The victims have been shifted to nearby areas by fire officials, he said.
Meanwhile, a fresh alert of "very heavy rainfall" in the city during the next 48 hours has been issued by the India Meteorological Department`s regional centre here.
"Mumbai and parts of the neighbouring Thane district along with the Konkan region may witness very heavy rainfall in the next 48 hours. Since this coincides with the high tide timings, there might be incidents of flooding," said V K Rajeev, Director, weather forecasting of MeT department here.
According to MeT, the southern part of city received 66.7 mm rainfall, while north Mumbai got 174.7 mm downpour in the 48-hour period till 8.30 am today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India