Mumbai: 1 killed in landslide, MeT forecasts very heavy rains
Mumbai: A six-year-old boy was on Thursday killed in a landslide at suburban Chembur following heavy rainfall lashing the city for last 48 hours, a civic official said.
The boy, a resident of Mahul village near Vashi Naka in Chembur East, was killed this morning when the hut in which he was sleeping was destroyed in a landslide that occurred in the area, an official of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) said.
The deceased has been identified as Ganesh Kumar Korade, he said.
There were around six hutments of slum dwellers in the area which were destroyed in the mishap. The victims have been shifted to nearby areas by fire officials, he said.
Meanwhile, a fresh alert of "very heavy rainfall" in the city during the next 48 hours has been issued by the India Meteorological Department`s regional centre here.
"Mumbai and parts of the neighbouring Thane district along with the Konkan region may witness very heavy rainfall in the next 48 hours. Since this coincides with the high tide timings, there might be incidents of flooding," said V K Rajeev, Director, weather forecasting of MeT department here.
According to MeT, the southern part of city received 66.7 mm rainfall, while north Mumbai got 174.7 mm downpour in the 48-hour period till 8.30 am today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why