Mumbai: 6,000 CCTVs to be installed by 2012
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Friday
said that the proposed ambitious surveillance system in Mumbai
will be put in place by the end of next year with 6,000 CCTV
cameras being installed across the city.
"The work order for the 6,000 CCTVs is expected to
begin by April 2012. The `Mumbai Police CCTV project` is the
first surveillance system to see an integration of 6,000 CCTV
cameras by the end of the next year," said Umesh Sarangi,
Additional chief secretary (Home).
"Attempts are on to strengthen the coastal security,"
he said, while speaking in a security summit "Mumbai Must Be
With the financial capital of the country on the radar of
terror outfits, government has decided to install CCTVs, as
many as possible, across the city for strict surveillance,
which will help cops during investigations in case of terror
attacks or any untoward incidents.
Mumbai police commissioner Arup Patnaik said that the
problem of calls dropping at the helpline number 100 will be
fixed soon. "Now at least 35 per cent calls made to the 100
number are getting dropped. We have taken this issue very
seriously and will fix the problem at the earliest," he added.
He admitted that co-ordination between police and people
needs to be strengthened. "Mohalla committees that were formed
to build confidence among the people about the police has
faced criticism, as some members of these committees have
started misusing their proximity with the police. The concept
of such committee is good but it needs to be revived."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'