Mumbai airport runway shut till 11 pm Saturday
Mumbai: The closure of Mumbai airport?s main runway has been extended till 11 pm Saturday as work to extricate a Turkish Airlines aircraft from slush continued despite bad weather conditions, an official said.
As hectic efforts continued to free the aircraft stuck in the mud beside the main runway, flight operations at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) - the country`s busiest airport - were severely hampered for nearly 40 hours.
The CSIA authorities Saturday had to suspend all operations on the secondary runway as well for a few minutes, four times during the day, on account of poor visibility.
The CSIA also grappled with an emergency landing of a Spicejet Bangalore-Mumbai flight with 137 passengers on board. There were no casualties in the incident.
Airport officials said that continuous downpour over Mumbai and surroundings further hampered the retrieval operations launched Friday evening.
The rain is adding to the slush and soft mud, making it difficult to position heavy cranes or trucks and their actions to retrieve the aircraft, an airport official said.
Besides over a dozen diversions, three international flight cancellations were reported till 6 p.m. Saturday.
Regular operations are now suffering an hours delay, both for arrivals and departures, the official said.
The main runway was shut down early Friday after a Turkish Airlines Airbus aircraft skidded after landing and got stuck in the soft mud following heavy rains. All 104 passengers, including 11 crew, were safe.
Friday evening, the airport authorities and Air India helped empty the fuel off the stranded aircraft.
A temporary pathway was prepared near the aircraft, a ground power unit was connected to the disabled aircraft, and the entire cargo on board was unloaded.
These measures were taken to reduce the weight on the front and rear sides of the aircraft before it could be towed away with cranes and trucks.
In a statement Friday, the Turkish Airlines attributed the incident to excessive rainfall at the CSIA.
About the cause of the incident, the necessary analysis and research is being done in collaboration with the local civil aviation authorities,? a spokesman for the airline said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read