Mumbai airport runway shut till 11 pm Saturday
Mumbai: The closure of Mumbai airport?s main runway has been extended till 11 pm Saturday as work to extricate a Turkish Airlines aircraft from slush continued despite bad weather conditions, an official said.
As hectic efforts continued to free the aircraft stuck in the mud beside the main runway, flight operations at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) - the country`s busiest airport - were severely hampered for nearly 40 hours.
The CSIA authorities Saturday had to suspend all operations on the secondary runway as well for a few minutes, four times during the day, on account of poor visibility.
The CSIA also grappled with an emergency landing of a Spicejet Bangalore-Mumbai flight with 137 passengers on board. There were no casualties in the incident.
Airport officials said that continuous downpour over Mumbai and surroundings further hampered the retrieval operations launched Friday evening.
The rain is adding to the slush and soft mud, making it difficult to position heavy cranes or trucks and their actions to retrieve the aircraft, an airport official said.
Besides over a dozen diversions, three international flight cancellations were reported till 6 p.m. Saturday.
Regular operations are now suffering an hours delay, both for arrivals and departures, the official said.
The main runway was shut down early Friday after a Turkish Airlines Airbus aircraft skidded after landing and got stuck in the soft mud following heavy rains. All 104 passengers, including 11 crew, were safe.
Friday evening, the airport authorities and Air India helped empty the fuel off the stranded aircraft.
A temporary pathway was prepared near the aircraft, a ground power unit was connected to the disabled aircraft, and the entire cargo on board was unloaded.
These measures were taken to reduce the weight on the front and rear sides of the aircraft before it could be towed away with cranes and trucks.
In a statement Friday, the Turkish Airlines attributed the incident to excessive rainfall at the CSIA.
About the cause of the incident, the necessary analysis and research is being done in collaboration with the local civil aviation authorities,? a spokesman for the airline said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared