Mumbai airport security tightened after intel of terror strike during Ganpati
Mumbai: The security agencies have stepped up surveillance at the Mumbai airport and in the surrounding areas, following a new intelligence warning of a possible terror strike during the 10-day Ganpati festival.
The alert was received from the Intelligence Bureau some days ago and following this, hoteliers and representatives of Ganpati mandals near the airport were given a briefing by the divisional deputy commissioner of police at the Bandra-Kurla police station, sources in the state intelligence department said.
Such alerts are issued regularly ahead of these events and security agencies are taking necessary steps to guard the airport and the places where devotees will congregate during the festival.
According to one hotelier, who attended the briefing, the police asked businesses to beef up security and look out for any suspicious persons or activity around their premises.
“We will follow the orders to the tee,” he said.
The Central Industrial Security Force that is in charge of safety operations at the airport has increased surveillance along the airport perimeter, in the aircraft parking bays and vehicles parking lot outside the airport.
There was a similar intelligence alert ahead of Independence Day last month. The Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is among the busiest airports in the sub-continent with more than 30 million travellers using the facility annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!