Mumbai: Alert after Israeli embassy car explosion
Mumbai: An alert was sounded and security
beefed up in the metropolis, on Monday, following an explosion in an
Israeli embassy car close to their mission in Delhi in a
suspected terror attack, police said.
"Security has been beefed up across the city,
particularly in and around the institutions belonging to
Israelis here," said Mumbai police spokesman and Deputy
Commissioner Nisar Tamboli.
Armed Quick Response Teams (QRT) of Mumbai police were
deployed at the Consulate General of Israel at Nariman Point,
besides areas having Israeli population and their religious
places, Tamboli said.
Mumbai attack co-accused David Coleman Headley had
conducted a reconnaissance of the Chabad House or Nariman
House, a Jewish outreach centre that was targeted during the
26/11 terror strike, and identified Chabad houses in Delhi,
Pushkar and Pune as potential targets.
Security at vital installations and government offices
has been tightened and policemen asked to be extra vigilant,
The QRTs were also deployed at bus stands, railway
stations, airport, ports, hotels, shopping malls and places of
According to initial investigations in Delhi, two
motorcycle-borne youths followed the Israeli Embassy vehicle
on Aurangzeb Road in the high security zone, not far from
Prime Minister`s residence, and allegedly placed "something"
in the rear of the car when it stopped at a traffic signal.
Minutes later, there was an explosion and the Toyota
Innova bearing number 109-CD-35 was in flames. Three persons
including Administrative Attache of the Embassy received injuries in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India