Mumbai: Alert after Israeli embassy car explosion
Mumbai: An alert was sounded and security
beefed up in the metropolis, on Monday, following an explosion in an
Israeli embassy car close to their mission in Delhi in a
suspected terror attack, police said.
"Security has been beefed up across the city,
particularly in and around the institutions belonging to
Israelis here," said Mumbai police spokesman and Deputy
Commissioner Nisar Tamboli.
Armed Quick Response Teams (QRT) of Mumbai police were
deployed at the Consulate General of Israel at Nariman Point,
besides areas having Israeli population and their religious
places, Tamboli said.
Mumbai attack co-accused David Coleman Headley had
conducted a reconnaissance of the Chabad House or Nariman
House, a Jewish outreach centre that was targeted during the
26/11 terror strike, and identified Chabad houses in Delhi,
Pushkar and Pune as potential targets.
Security at vital installations and government offices
has been tightened and policemen asked to be extra vigilant,
The QRTs were also deployed at bus stands, railway
stations, airport, ports, hotels, shopping malls and places of
According to initial investigations in Delhi, two
motorcycle-borne youths followed the Israeli Embassy vehicle
on Aurangzeb Road in the high security zone, not far from
Prime Minister`s residence, and allegedly placed "something"
in the rear of the car when it stopped at a traffic signal.
Minutes later, there was an explosion and the Toyota
Innova bearing number 109-CD-35 was in flames. Three persons
including Administrative Attache of the Embassy received injuries in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional