Mumbai auto driver`s daughter tops All-India CA exam
Mumbai: The poky confines of her 300 sq ft chawl could not deter Prema Jayakumar from dreaming big and now this autorickshaw driver`s daughter is set to live her dream, having topped the All India Chartered Accountancy (CA) examination.
Prema, 24, is ecstatic to have secured the first rank in the examination conducted by the prestigious Institute of Chartered Accountants of India in November 2012, results of which were announced on Monday.
"It`s my lifetime achievement. For me the key to success is hardwork," she said when asked about how she felt about having topped the examination, one of the toughest in the country.
Slightly built and modest, Prema, who earned Rs 6,000 a month during her articleship at Chartered Accountancy firm Kishore Seth & Company, credited her father Jayakumar Perumal and homemaker mother Lingammal for her success.
"It would not have been possible without their support and blessings. My parents always motivated me. I would now want my parents, who have done so much for me, to live a life of comfort," she said as a doting Jayakumar, in his khaki uniform, flashed a broad smile.
"I am proud of my parents who never allowed money to come in the way of my academic pursuit and that of my brother," she said as she held her mother in tender embrace at their tiny asbestos-roofed dwelling at S B Khan Chawl in suburban Malad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SpaceX Dragon cargo craft departs International Space Station
- Modi-inspired khadi outfits for Goa officials every Friday
- Uttar Pradesh Police personnel to get offs every 10 days
- Eight police killed in southeast Turkey car bomb attack: Report
- AAP 'intentionally' framed Punjab chief Chhotepur before expelling him: Dharamvira Gandhi