Mumbai BJP leader hacked to death
Mumbai: A local BJP leader was hacked to death in his house in northeast Mumbai early Monday, police said.
The victim, Vasant Patil, 55, was the BJP Ward 106 president and had been instrumental in highlighting local scams and irregularities.
Police said some unidentified people barged into Patil`s house in Raote Compound, Khidipada area in Bhandup at 8 a.m. Monday, and attacked him with choppers.
His wife, who was not at home, returned to find him lying in a pool of blood and screamed for help.
Neighbours and friends informed police, who rushed him to Rajawadi Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
BJP state president Devendra Fadnavis raised the matter in the legislature and demanded that the government give a statement on the issue.
Meanwhile, police have detained a suspect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?