Mumbai BJP leader hacked to death
Mumbai: A local BJP leader was hacked to death in his house in northeast Mumbai early Monday, police said.
The victim, Vasant Patil, 55, was the BJP Ward 106 president and had been instrumental in highlighting local scams and irregularities.
Police said some unidentified people barged into Patil`s house in Raote Compound, Khidipada area in Bhandup at 8 a.m. Monday, and attacked him with choppers.
His wife, who was not at home, returned to find him lying in a pool of blood and screamed for help.
Neighbours and friends informed police, who rushed him to Rajawadi Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
BJP state president Devendra Fadnavis raised the matter in the legislature and demanded that the government give a statement on the issue.
Meanwhile, police have detained a suspect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’