Mumbai BJP leader hacked to death
Mumbai: A local BJP leader was hacked to death in his house in northeast Mumbai early Monday, police said.
The victim, Vasant Patil, 55, was the BJP Ward 106 president and had been instrumental in highlighting local scams and irregularities.
Police said some unidentified people barged into Patil`s house in Raote Compound, Khidipada area in Bhandup at 8 a.m. Monday, and attacked him with choppers.
His wife, who was not at home, returned to find him lying in a pool of blood and screamed for help.
Neighbours and friends informed police, who rushed him to Rajawadi Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
BJP state president Devendra Fadnavis raised the matter in the legislature and demanded that the government give a statement on the issue.
Meanwhile, police have detained a suspect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre