Mumbai blasts: ATS claims `very good` leads
Mumbai: Claiming it has got "very good"
leads from the sketch of the suspect of July 13 serial blasts,
Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) on Wednesday indicated that
the suspect hails either from central or northern parts of the
country even as the agency has scanned whooping one lakh phone
calls so far for the clues.
"We have got very good leads from the sketch of the
suspect. We have information that the suspect is from either
central or northern parts of the country. That is the reason
why we have spread our teams in these areas to trace the
suspect," said a senior ATS official.
The teams of Maharashtra ATS and Mumbai Crime branch
had been fanned to various states including Madhya Pradesh,
Delhi, Rajasthan and Gujarat in a bid to get "solid leads" in
the case, he added.
The suspect was allegedly involved in the blast at
20 people were killed and over 130 injured in the
triple blasts at Dadar, Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House on July
The sketch was circulated only to select
investigators, who are part of the 12 core teams formed to
probe the blasts, besides a few top informers.
The ATS has so far verified incoming and outgoing
records of over a lakh phone calls, the official said, adding
some numbers are under their scanner and their veracity being
Asked if these suspicious calls were either made to
Madhya Pradesh, Kolkata or Gujarat, where ATS teams are
working in a full swing for leads, the official refused to
The sketch was prepared on the basis of eye witnesses`
account after police showed them the footage pertaining to the
blast at Zaveri Bazaar.
A joint team of Mumbai Police and Maharashtra ATS has
also questioned suspected IM operative Danish Riaz in Gujarat
in connection with the Mumbai triple blasts.
Danish was arrested from Vadodara railway station on
June 21 in connection with the 2008 Ahmedabad blasts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened