Mumbai blasts: ATS grills fake currency accused
Mumbai: Looking for a breakthrough in the
July triple blasts here, the Maharashtra ATS has extensively
questioned an alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative
arrested in a counterfeit currency case.
"We have grilled Asrar Ahmed about the blasts for long.
But nothing much has yielded as of now," said an ATS official.
At least 26 people were killed and several others injured
in the triple blasts at Dadar, Opera House and Zaveri Bazaar
localities of the city on July 13.
Asrar Ahmed Abdul Hamid Tailor alias Sagri (41), an
alleged member of the IM as well as SIMI, was arrested outside
Borivali railway station on Monday. The ATS in its remand
application claimed that the computer trainer had received
terror training in Pakistan.
Asrar`s aide Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik, another
suspected IM member, was apprehended earlier this month, in
the fake currency case.
A relative of Haroon expressed fear that the ATS may
falsely implicate him in the July 13 blasts.
"Haroon is innocent. The ATS senior officials are
unwilling to tell us why he was arrested," the relative said.
The ATS has been burning the midnight oil searching for
clues in the blasts probe. Though it has not openly stated
which terror outfit was responsible for the blasts, the
investigating agency suspects that the IM may have triggered
The ATS has also claimed that Asrar had confessed to
having been involved in the distribution of fake currency
notes along with Haroon, to whom he imparted computer
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured