Mumbai blasts: ATS grills fake currency accused
Mumbai: Looking for a breakthrough in the
July triple blasts here, the Maharashtra ATS has extensively
questioned an alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative
arrested in a counterfeit currency case.
"We have grilled Asrar Ahmed about the blasts for long.
But nothing much has yielded as of now," said an ATS official.
At least 26 people were killed and several others injured
in the triple blasts at Dadar, Opera House and Zaveri Bazaar
localities of the city on July 13.
Asrar Ahmed Abdul Hamid Tailor alias Sagri (41), an
alleged member of the IM as well as SIMI, was arrested outside
Borivali railway station on Monday. The ATS in its remand
application claimed that the computer trainer had received
terror training in Pakistan.
Asrar`s aide Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik, another
suspected IM member, was apprehended earlier this month, in
the fake currency case.
A relative of Haroon expressed fear that the ATS may
falsely implicate him in the July 13 blasts.
"Haroon is innocent. The ATS senior officials are
unwilling to tell us why he was arrested," the relative said.
The ATS has been burning the midnight oil searching for
clues in the blasts probe. Though it has not openly stated
which terror outfit was responsible for the blasts, the
investigating agency suspects that the IM may have triggered
The ATS has also claimed that Asrar had confessed to
having been involved in the distribution of fake currency
notes along with Haroon, to whom he imparted computer
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened