Mumbai blasts case: IM operative gets ATS custody
Mumbai: Mohammed Kafeel Ansari, suspected to be the close associate of elusive Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal and also the fifth accused arrested in July 13 serial blasts case, was on Tuesday remanded in ATS custody till June 8 by a MCOCA court here.
"Kafeel has been sent to ATS custody till June 8", said Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Rakesh Maria.
Ansari (55), who was in the custody of Delhi police in a terror-related case, was arrested in the Mumbai blasts case on May 19 and is accused of criminal conspiracy, aiding and abetting the explosions and providing logistical support in executing the crime.
Ansari, hailing from Darbhanga district of Bihar, was earlier remanded in police custody till May 29.
27 people were killed and 130 injured when three explosions ripped through the crowded areas of Opera House, Zaveri Bazaar, and Dadar (West) in Mumbai on July 13 last year.
The ATS had earlier arrested four accused, Naquee Ahmed, Nadeem Shaikh, Kanwar Pathrija and Haroon Naik in the blasts case. The chargesheet against them was filed on May 25 in a special court of the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
Ansari, a "close aide" of Yasin Bhatkal, had been nabbed in February by a team of Delhi Police`s Special Team from Darbhanga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'