Mumbai boy held for FB post on Raj Thackeray freed
Thane: The Maharashtra police on Thursday released Sunil Vishwakarma, a 19-year-old resident of Palghar in Thane district, who was detained for posting a derogatory Facebook post against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray.
Sunil was detained by police for questioning on Wednesday in connection with an alleged vulgar post against Thackeray.
However, police later said that a "fake account" was used by unidentified person or persons in the teenager`s name.
"Sunil Vishwakarma is cooperating with us in the case and was allowed to go last night after initial questioning. He is nowhere involved in the case," a senior police officer said.
Kundan Sankhe, the president of Thane rural unit of the MNS, had claimed the boy had made "vulgar" comments about Raj Thackeray, and the people of Maharashtra, including women.
Late in the night, Additional Superintendent of Police, Thane, S Nishandar, had told a news agency that as per the probe, some unidentified persons created a fake account in the name of Sunil Vishwakarma, and posted objectionable comment about Thackeray and Maharashtrians in his name.
Vishwakarma (19) had accessed his own Facebook account last Monday, while the comment on fake account was posted the next day.
The incident came close on the heels of the arrest of two girls at Palghar over a Facebook comment by one of them on the shutdown of the city following Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray`s funeral.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read