Mumbai boy held for FB post on Raj Thackeray freed
Thane: The Maharashtra police on Thursday released Sunil Vishwakarma, a 19-year-old resident of Palghar in Thane district, who was detained for posting a derogatory Facebook post against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray.
Sunil was detained by police for questioning on Wednesday in connection with an alleged vulgar post against Thackeray.
However, police later said that a "fake account" was used by unidentified person or persons in the teenager`s name.
"Sunil Vishwakarma is cooperating with us in the case and was allowed to go last night after initial questioning. He is nowhere involved in the case," a senior police officer said.
Kundan Sankhe, the president of Thane rural unit of the MNS, had claimed the boy had made "vulgar" comments about Raj Thackeray, and the people of Maharashtra, including women.
Late in the night, Additional Superintendent of Police, Thane, S Nishandar, had told a news agency that as per the probe, some unidentified persons created a fake account in the name of Sunil Vishwakarma, and posted objectionable comment about Thackeray and Maharashtrians in his name.
Vishwakarma (19) had accessed his own Facebook account last Monday, while the comment on fake account was posted the next day.
The incident came close on the heels of the arrest of two girls at Palghar over a Facebook comment by one of them on the shutdown of the city following Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray`s funeral.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional