Mumbai building collapse: 13 killed, 29 injured
Mumbai: Thirteen persons, including three of a family, were killed and 29 injured when a five-storey residential building belonging to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) in Mazgaon area here collapsed on Friday.
"The death toll in the collapse has risen to 13," a civic official told PTI, adding many more were believed to be trapped under the debris.
Four of the deceased have been identified as Lakhoji Devji Chawda (60), Jamuna Chawda (30) Anil Chawda (19) and Santosh (44).
The injured have been admitted to the state-run JJ Hospital and Nair Hospital.
Around 21 families, which were BMC`s tenants, lived in the 30-year-old structure.
It was categorised as a C-2 building, which meant that it was in need of urgent repairs.
The kin of the missing wailed as a heavy machinery lifted large slabs of concrete and rescue workers looked for the dead or survivors under the rubbles of the building.
The building is located on Brahmadev Khot Marg near Babu Genu market in the Mazgaon area, which is close to the Dockyard Road railway station on the harbour railway line.
Anish Kadam (10), Diptesh Kadam (16), Habib Shaikh (22), Tauqeer Shaikh (22), Haroon Shaikh (24) and Ajay Chendvankar (40) were among those rescued.
D S Patil, a fire brigade official, was injured during rescue operation.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan held a meeting with senior officials and asked them to ensure effective relief and rescue operation.
BMC said it has formed two committees to probe the collapse incident and ordered audit of similar buildings in the city.
The civic body has filed a complaint against one `Mamamiyan Decorator` who had allegedly made some alterations on the ground floor of the building, civic officials said.
The affected families would be given alternative accommodation in the vicinity. It has also announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the family of the deceased.
The BMC has also decided to bear the cost of treating the injured, civic officials said.
This is the second major building collapse in Mumbai this year. Aftab Mansion, a residential building in suburban Mahim West had collapsed in June, killing ten people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department