Mumbai building collapse toll climbs to four
Mumbai: The death toll in Friday`s building collapse in south Mumbai climbed to four with two more injured succumbing here early Saturday, officials said.
According to the city Disaster Control, a slab of the building Khatija Manzil on Mohammed Ali Road collapsed around 4.45 pm.
Imtiaz Siddiqui, 28, and Maleshwar Mahanto, 29, were killed instantly.
Rafique Shaikh, 40, and Kalam Shaikh, 25, who were injured, died early Saturday in a hospital.
Work to clear the debris continued Saturday though authorities are not certain whether more people are trapped in the debris.
Police have lodged a complaint against the building owner Farrukh Yusuf Batki and detained him.
The casualty figures could have been higher but for the timely action by authorities.
Around 3 p.m., a wide crack was noticed in the building and by 4.30 p.m., most residents were evacuated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them