Mumbai building collapse toll climbs to four
Mumbai: The death toll in Friday`s building collapse in south Mumbai climbed to four with two more injured succumbing here early Saturday, officials said.
According to the city Disaster Control, a slab of the building Khatija Manzil on Mohammed Ali Road collapsed around 4.45 pm.
Imtiaz Siddiqui, 28, and Maleshwar Mahanto, 29, were killed instantly.
Rafique Shaikh, 40, and Kalam Shaikh, 25, who were injured, died early Saturday in a hospital.
Work to clear the debris continued Saturday though authorities are not certain whether more people are trapped in the debris.
Police have lodged a complaint against the building owner Farrukh Yusuf Batki and detained him.
The casualty figures could have been higher but for the timely action by authorities.
Around 3 p.m., a wide crack was noticed in the building and by 4.30 p.m., most residents were evacuated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31