Mumbai building collapse toll climbs to four
Mumbai: The death toll in Friday`s building collapse in south Mumbai climbed to four with two more injured succumbing here early Saturday, officials said.
According to the city Disaster Control, a slab of the building Khatija Manzil on Mohammed Ali Road collapsed around 4.45 pm.
Imtiaz Siddiqui, 28, and Maleshwar Mahanto, 29, were killed instantly.
Rafique Shaikh, 40, and Kalam Shaikh, 25, who were injured, died early Saturday in a hospital.
Work to clear the debris continued Saturday though authorities are not certain whether more people are trapped in the debris.
Police have lodged a complaint against the building owner Farrukh Yusuf Batki and detained him.
The casualty figures could have been higher but for the timely action by authorities.
Around 3 p.m., a wide crack was noticed in the building and by 4.30 p.m., most residents were evacuated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok