Mumbai building collapse toll climbs to four
Mumbai: The death toll in Friday`s building collapse in south Mumbai climbed to four with two more injured succumbing here early Saturday, officials said.
According to the city Disaster Control, a slab of the building Khatija Manzil on Mohammed Ali Road collapsed around 4.45 pm.
Imtiaz Siddiqui, 28, and Maleshwar Mahanto, 29, were killed instantly.
Rafique Shaikh, 40, and Kalam Shaikh, 25, who were injured, died early Saturday in a hospital.
Work to clear the debris continued Saturday though authorities are not certain whether more people are trapped in the debris.
Police have lodged a complaint against the building owner Farrukh Yusuf Batki and detained him.
The casualty figures could have been higher but for the timely action by authorities.
Around 3 p.m., a wide crack was noticed in the building and by 4.30 p.m., most residents were evacuated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row