Mumbai building collapse toll climbs to four
Mumbai: The death toll in Friday`s building collapse in south Mumbai climbed to four with two more injured succumbing here early Saturday, officials said.
According to the city Disaster Control, a slab of the building Khatija Manzil on Mohammed Ali Road collapsed around 4.45 pm.
Imtiaz Siddiqui, 28, and Maleshwar Mahanto, 29, were killed instantly.
Rafique Shaikh, 40, and Kalam Shaikh, 25, who were injured, died early Saturday in a hospital.
Work to clear the debris continued Saturday though authorities are not certain whether more people are trapped in the debris.
Police have lodged a complaint against the building owner Farrukh Yusuf Batki and detained him.
The casualty figures could have been higher but for the timely action by authorities.
Around 3 p.m., a wide crack was noticed in the building and by 4.30 p.m., most residents were evacuated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145