Mumbai chemical attack case: Attempt to murder charge against accused
Mumbai: Arrested production company owner Jerrit G John was on Monday slapped with attempt to murder charge for allegedly throwing hazardous chemical on his former girlfriend`s face.
Earlier, the accused was only booked for causing grievous hurt, police said.
According to them, the charge has been added after an additional statement of victim Aryanka Hosbetkar (26) on Saturday.
In her fresh statement, she said that in the past, John had tried to attack her with a blade and prior to that he had also tried to throw her out of a moving car.
Police said the fresh statement shows that John always had an intention to kill and therefore the charge of attempt to murder have been applied.
Meanwhile, the metropolitan magistrate`s court extended John`s custody till November 21.
John, who owns the production house `No Nonsense` and has produced-directed television serials, had flung chemical at Hosbetkar at her residence at Adarsh Colony in Worli on November 8.
Hosbetkar, an international international cyclist, had returned from a cycling expedition in the morning and was with her friends when John carried out the attack, police said.
She was later taken to a private hospital where she was treated and was later discharged.
According to police, John, who also cycles regularly, has worked as a creative consultant with TV channels, some ad filmmakers and has also been associated with a few Bollywood movies.
The two were facing problems in their 10-month-old relationship after Hosbetkar came to know that John was married with a five-year-old son.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference