Mumbai Congress MLA's e-mail account hacked
Mumbai: An e-mail account of a Mumbai MLA was today hacked by a fraudster, who sent fake mails to people on the former's contact list seeking USD 3,000 saying that the amount was required to meet the medical expenses of his relative's family "which met with an accident", police said.
Ashok Jadhav, a Congress MLA from Andheri West constituency, today complained in writing at Bandra Cyber Cell police station that his personal e-mail account was hacked and mails were sent to all his contacts, a police officer said.
After reading the mail, his panicked friends ranging from politicians to businessman replied to the mail, while some even called up the MLA, police said.
One of those who first rung up Jadhav to extend financial help was senior Congress leader Gurudas Kamat. However, Jadhav was in for shock when Kamat told him about the mail.
The first mail sent to Jadhav's contacts by the hacker reads, "Sorry to bother you, please I need your urgent help and was wondering if I can get one from you."
And those replied to the mail received another mail in which the fraudster impersonating self as MLA Jadhav sought USD 3,000.
Indicating that the MLA was abroad, the second mail reads, "My cousin and his family had an accident here in India and his wife who was driving at the time is already dead. I need to pay the hospital bill of my cousin and his three year old son whose leg was broken. I will pay back once am back home next week."
The mail further added, "I didn't come with my phone cause I was in a rush, so I currently have no access to phone calls from as it will take up to 72 hours before I can get an IDDS service registered in my name, else I would have love to call. Please let me know if you can help. Get back to me as soon as you can. Please keep this between us."
The MLA immediately rushed to Bandra's Cyber Cell police and complained to them about the mails.
Preliminary probe suggested that the hacker used proxy server as it shows that the e-mail accounts had been accessed from United Kingdom and Delhi on three different occasions, police sources said.
When contacted, MLA Jadhav termed the "spam mailing spree" as a vendetta to tarnish his political image.
"I have already lodged a complaint with the cyber crime department of the Bandra-Kurla police station. But I was very surprised that money is being asked in my name (by sending unsolicited emails). These mails are definitely being sent by my political opponents to spoil my image in front of people," he alleged.
According to the police officer, they were examining whether an FIR can be registered in this case or not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!