Mumbai cops in spot over poem
Mumbai: Mumbai Police were put in a spot over a poem published in its in-house journal terming last year`s Azad Maidan protesters as "snakes" and "traitors" whose hands should have been "chopped off", following which it has assured to issue an unconditional apology.
A complaint in this regard has been filed by Ameen Mustafa Idrisi, who runs an NGO `Muslim-e-Hind`, and Nazar Mohammed Siddique, one of the arrested accused in Azad Maidan violence case and now out on bail, with the state`s Home Department, Mumbai Police Commissioner`s office and Azad Maidan police station.
The complainants have sought registration of an FIR against Commissioner Satyapal Singh, Joint Police Commissioner (Administration) Hemant Nagarale, and woman inspector Sujata Patil, who penned the verse, publisher and other unnamed "conspirators".
"Hausla buland tha, izzat lut rahi thi...Himmat ki gaddaron ne Amar Jyoti ko haath lagane ki, kaat dete haath unke toh faryad kisi ki bhi na hoti...Saanp ko doodh pila kar, baat kare hain hum bhai-chare ki. (Their morale was high, (women) were being dishonoured. The traitors had the audacity to touch Amar Jawan Jyoti. Had we cut off their hands nobody would have complained. We feed milk to the snakes and then talk of harmony," read the poem.
Patil further suggested that the cops should have played "goliyon ki holi".
The poem titled "Azad Maidan" by Patil, an inspector in traffic police posted at Matunga, was published recently in the police department`s house journal "Samvad".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister