Mumbai cops in spot over poem
Mumbai: Mumbai Police were put in a spot over a poem published in its in-house journal terming last year`s Azad Maidan protesters as "snakes" and "traitors" whose hands should have been "chopped off", following which it has assured to issue an unconditional apology.
A complaint in this regard has been filed by Ameen Mustafa Idrisi, who runs an NGO `Muslim-e-Hind`, and Nazar Mohammed Siddique, one of the arrested accused in Azad Maidan violence case and now out on bail, with the state`s Home Department, Mumbai Police Commissioner`s office and Azad Maidan police station.
The complainants have sought registration of an FIR against Commissioner Satyapal Singh, Joint Police Commissioner (Administration) Hemant Nagarale, and woman inspector Sujata Patil, who penned the verse, publisher and other unnamed "conspirators".
"Hausla buland tha, izzat lut rahi thi...Himmat ki gaddaron ne Amar Jyoti ko haath lagane ki, kaat dete haath unke toh faryad kisi ki bhi na hoti...Saanp ko doodh pila kar, baat kare hain hum bhai-chare ki. (Their morale was high, (women) were being dishonoured. The traitors had the audacity to touch Amar Jawan Jyoti. Had we cut off their hands nobody would have complained. We feed milk to the snakes and then talk of harmony," read the poem.
Patil further suggested that the cops should have played "goliyon ki holi".
The poem titled "Azad Maidan" by Patil, an inspector in traffic police posted at Matunga, was published recently in the police department`s house journal "Samvad".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA