Mumbai: Couple suspected of battering their 3-month-old daughter
Mumbai: A three-month-old girl, who was hospitalised at a civic-run hospital with multiple injuries a week ago, has succumbed to injuries, raising suspicion that her parents might have battered her, police said Tuesday.
The baby Ahuti Joshi, was admitted to central Mumbai`s KEM hospital with a skull fracture last week by the parents, who reside in suburban Gorai.
The paediatric department, however, found that she had multiple fractures on the skull and also suffered from internal bleeding, police said.
When the baby`s parents failed to give a satisfactory explanation over her injuries, the doctors notified cops, who registered a case of suspected child battering, police said adding that the baby girl died of injuries on Sunday night.
The preliminary findings of the post-mortem confirmed that Aahuti had injuries on both sides of the skull, which were unlikely to be caused by an accidental fall.
The cause of the death has been reserved till the reports of the histopathological tests are in. These will show if she had any other ailment.
As the histopathological test report was yet to be received, police have registered a case of accidental death.
"The tests report will give the exact cause of the injuries. After this, we will be able to come to a conclusion. The statement of her father Kalpesh, who stays with his wife in a chawl at Sector-II in Gorai, was recorded today," said a police officer at Borivali police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday