Mumbai: Couple suspected of battering their 3-month-old daughter
Mumbai: A three-month-old girl, who was hospitalised at a civic-run hospital with multiple injuries a week ago, has succumbed to injuries, raising suspicion that her parents might have battered her, police said Tuesday.
The baby Ahuti Joshi, was admitted to central Mumbai`s KEM hospital with a skull fracture last week by the parents, who reside in suburban Gorai.
The paediatric department, however, found that she had multiple fractures on the skull and also suffered from internal bleeding, police said.
When the baby`s parents failed to give a satisfactory explanation over her injuries, the doctors notified cops, who registered a case of suspected child battering, police said adding that the baby girl died of injuries on Sunday night.
The preliminary findings of the post-mortem confirmed that Aahuti had injuries on both sides of the skull, which were unlikely to be caused by an accidental fall.
The cause of the death has been reserved till the reports of the histopathological tests are in. These will show if she had any other ailment.
As the histopathological test report was yet to be received, police have registered a case of accidental death.
"The tests report will give the exact cause of the injuries. After this, we will be able to come to a conclusion. The statement of her father Kalpesh, who stays with his wife in a chawl at Sector-II in Gorai, was recorded today," said a police officer at Borivali police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days