Mumbai court issues warrant against Abu Jindal
Mumbai: A Mumbai court on Monday issued production warrant against suspected Laskhar-e-Taiba terrorist Sayed Zabiuddin alias Abu Jindal arrested in Delhi for his alleged complicity in the 26/11 terror attack.
The warrant was issued by PS Rathod, Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, on an application by special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam and 26/11 case Investigating Officer Ramesh Mahale.
Equipped with the production warrant, a team of Mumbai police would now go to Delhi to seek the custody of Jindal and bring him here to stand trial.
Nikam told the court that Jindal had played a key role in the criminal conspiracy hatched in Pakistan by LeT to strike terror in Mumbai.
In furtherance of this conspiracy, Nikam said, a group of 10 terrorists had arrived here from Karachi by sea, killed 166 people and injured 238 on November 26, 2008.
Nikam said Jindal was handling the terrorists by phone from Karachi when the brazen attack was being perpetrated.
Nikam said Mohamed Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving 26/11 terrorist convicted in the case, had in his confession said Jindal taught them Hindi and interacted with them on telephone from Karachi during the attack.
Prosecutor Nikam referred to Kasab`s statement in the trial court, saying Jindal was in touch with them on telephone when the terrorists were carrying out attack on Nariman House, an abode of Jews in Mumbai.
Besides, he said, Kasab had testified that Jindal was an Indian national.
The prosecutor pleaded that there was sufficient evidence against Jindal in the 26/11 case and sought his custody for interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons