Mumbai Court rejects Maulana Rabbani`s bail plea
Mumbai: A Sessions Court on Tuesday rejected the
anticipatory bail plea of Maulana Sheikh Mehraj Rabbani of
radical group Ahle Hadees in a case of hurting religious
Rabbani had approached the court seeking anticipatory
bail in a case lodged against him by one Siraj Ahmed Shaikh
alleging that the Maulana had hurt the sentiments of
Dargah-going Sunni Muslims by his allegedly offensive
Additional sessions judge R G Avachat while rejecting the
bail plea observed that there was prima facie evidence against
The court has, however, granted him relief for two days
to approach the Bombay High Court.
According to the complainant, Rabbani, while addressing a
gathering on January 28 at suburban Ghatkopar had allegedly
made abusive and hurtful remarks against Khwaja Garib Nawaz, a
saint whose shrine is at Ajmer in Rajasthan.
Rabbani`s lawyer had argued that he had not delivered any
speech as alleged in the FIR.
Public Prosecutor R V Kini, however, opposed the bail
plea stating that the Maulana had made the speeches despite a
gag order issued against him by police last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!