Mumbai duo who duped investors arrested
New Delhi: Two realtors, who allegedly duped hundreds of investors of over Rs 18 crore by promising residential plots and flats in Navi Mumbai, have been arrested from Delhi, police said on Saturday.
Pavan Datta (52) and Gagan Deep Chawla (42), Directors of Real Estate Developer Company Lakshish Infrastructure, were apprehended by the Delhi Police`s Economic Offences Wing (EOW).
"Pavan and his associate Gagan had floated partnership firm by the name Lakshish Infrastructure. Two residential township projects namely `Bollywood City` and `Amara Retreat` were proposed by the said firm," Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (EOW) Sanjay Tyagi said.
"World class luxuries were promised without obtaining the necessary approvals for the development of township project. The investors were lured to invest in the projects with the assurance that the land will be purchased in their names and they will be handed over developed plots and flats.
But in reality , only about 10 acres of land was purchased in the names of some of the investors and more than 100 acres of land was purchased in the names of the directors and their family members.
The duo had allegedly collected over Rs 18 crore from hundreds of the investors of both the projects, Tyagi said.
When the investors started making enquiries about the possession of flats and plots, Datta and Chawla closed the offices of the companies and fled, the police said.
"As much as 153 acres of land purchased by the directors in Maharashtra`s Raigad district in their individual names or their family members and others have been identified and sealed," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year