Mumbai: Ganesh mandals asked to install CCTVs
Mumbai: In order to thwart any untoward
incident during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival starting
September 1, Police have asked about 12,000 mandals across the
city to keep a vigil and install CCTVs.
"Keeping in mind the recent blasts, we need to be
cautious this year. Hence we have decided that all big mandals
would install CCTV cameras. We would also make use of metal
detectors and our volunteers would also keep an eye on
suspicious activities," Brihanmumbai Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav
Samanvay Samiti, Head, Dahi Bhavkar said.
"We have asked police officials to provide training to
our volunteers," he said.
The Brihanmumbai Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav Samanvay Samiti
is an umbrella body of all the mandals in the city.
The ganesh mandals today had a meeting with Mayor
Shraddha Jadhav, Municipal Commissioner Subodh Kumar and
Additional Police Commissioner Naval Bajaj at the BMC
"The Additional Police Commissioner Naval Bajaj has
made it compulsory for all mandals to install CCTV cameras. We
have told them that since small mandals cannot afford to
install cameras, we have sought financial assistance from
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and would meet him soon,"
"Each mandal would require at least five-six CCTV
cameras. It will cost about Rs 1.5 lakh to install cameras for
all the eleven days of the festival. Small mandals would not
be in a position to shell out this amount," Bhavkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users