`Mumbai gang-rape accused had raped 10 women`
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: As part of their investigations into the Mumbai gang-rape case, the police have found details about other similar crimes committed by the accused.
The accused are believed to have committed at least 10 rape crimes in the last six months, reports said.
Also, the police suspect that there could be more people involved in the crimes alongwith the group of the five arrested for raping a 22-year-old photojournalist at defunct Shakti Mills premises last month.
A 19-year-old girl working in a call centre has stepped forward to claim that she was similarly gang-raped by some of the accused in the Shakti Mills complex on July 31.
The woman contended that she recognised the assailants from the sketches released by police after the assault on the photojournalist and the assault on her male colleague on August 22.
The victim said she had gone to the desolate Shakti Mills compound along with a male friend on July 31.
They were accosted by the same five now in custody and they employed the same modus operandi to trap them, the complaint said.
She said the accused raped her and she recognised them after their sketches were flashed in the media.
A senior police official told the media on Tuesday that the five accused of gang-raping the photojournalist have confessed to committing similar crimes.
Their victims included a woman ragpicker and a commercial sex worker.
The official said the new complaint would also be thoroughly investigated.
The five accused in police custody are Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Khan and a minor. All of them have been charged with various offences.
Their police custody is expected to end on September 05.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars