Mumbai gang-rape accused may be repeat offenders
Mumbai: The five accused arrested in the gang-rape of a photo-journalist could be involved in a similar sex-crime in July, police said Tuesday.
A 19-year-old girl working in a call centre has stepped forward to claim that she was similarly gang-raped by some of the accused in the Shakti Mills complex July 31.
The woman contended that she recognized the assailants from the sketches released by police after the assault on the 22-year-old photo-journalist and the assault on her male colleague Aug 22.
The victim said she had gone to the desolate Shakti Mills compound along with a male friend July 31.
They were accosted by the same five now in custody and they employed the same modus operandi to trap them, the complaint said.
She said the accused raped her and she recognized them after their sketches were flashed in the media.
A senior police official told the media Tuesday that the five accused of gang-raping the photo-journalist have confessed to committing similar crimes.
Their victims included a woman rag-picker and a commercial sex-worker.
The official said the new complaint would also be thoroughly investigated.
The five accused in police custody are Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Khan and a minor. All of them have been charged with various offences.
Their police custody is expected to end Sep 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi