Mumbai gang-rape: Editor of English daily to be examined as defence witness
Mumbai: A sessions court, conducting trial in the Shakti mill telephone operator gang rape case, on Monday allowed defence lawyers to examine the editor of a city-based English daily as a witness.
"The defence has submitted a list of the witnesses to be examined by them, but for now the court has given permission to call the editor as a witness," said Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
Police had arrested Mohammed Ashfaq Sheikh, Mohamed Kasim Hafiz Sheikh alias Kasim Bangali, Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav and a minor for raping the 18-year-old telephone operator on July 31 last year.
A chargesheet was filed against the four accused on October 8 while the trial of the juvenile was separated.
In another case, a young journalist, interning with an English magazine, was gang raped by five persons, including a juvenile, on the same compound in August last year.
Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali and Salim Ansari are the common accused in the gang rape of the journalist.
While four out of five accused, namely Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali, Salim Ansari and Siraj Rehman, were charged with rape, conspiracy, common intention, unnatural sex and charges under Information Technology Act, the trial of the juvenile was separated.
The Mumbai crime branch had on September 19 filed a 600-page charge sheet against the four accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you