Mumbai gang-rape: Editor of English daily to be examined as defence witness
Mumbai: A sessions court, conducting trial in the Shakti mill telephone operator gang rape case, on Monday allowed defence lawyers to examine the editor of a city-based English daily as a witness.
"The defence has submitted a list of the witnesses to be examined by them, but for now the court has given permission to call the editor as a witness," said Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
Police had arrested Mohammed Ashfaq Sheikh, Mohamed Kasim Hafiz Sheikh alias Kasim Bangali, Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav and a minor for raping the 18-year-old telephone operator on July 31 last year.
A chargesheet was filed against the four accused on October 8 while the trial of the juvenile was separated.
In another case, a young journalist, interning with an English magazine, was gang raped by five persons, including a juvenile, on the same compound in August last year.
Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali and Salim Ansari are the common accused in the gang rape of the journalist.
While four out of five accused, namely Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali, Salim Ansari and Siraj Rehman, were charged with rape, conspiracy, common intention, unnatural sex and charges under Information Technology Act, the trial of the juvenile was separated.
The Mumbai crime branch had on September 19 filed a 600-page charge sheet against the four accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- India's bid continues to be under consideration of NSG: Government
- India lashes out at Pakistan over Kashmir, says 'stop inciting terrorism, vacate PoK'
- Pakistan caught on the backfoot! Photos of ISI's links with Hafiz Saeed emerge
- LIVE STREAMING: West Indies vs India, 1st Test, Day 1
- After Rahul Gandhi dozes off in Lok Sabha, BJP calls him 'Sleeping Prince'