Mumbai gang-rape: Punish my son if found guilty, says mother of an accused
Mumbai: The mother of one of the five accused in the Mumbai gang rape of a 22-year-old photojournalist in Mumbai on Sunday said that her son should be punished if he had indulged in the horrific crime of Thursday evening, but maintained that she believed that her offspring could not be part of the heinous act, which has brought back the horrors of the Delhi gang-rape of December 16, 2012.
Speaking to the media here, Chand Bibi, mother of the fourth accused, identified as Kasim Bengali, 20, said that she believes her son is innocent. "My son is innocent, but if he has committed a crime or not, only he and the other four boys can say," Chand Bibi said.
"If he has committed a crime, then he should be punished. ...I don`t believe that my son could have committed this crime. I refuse to believe that," Chand Bibi added.
The fifth accused in the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old photojournalist was arrested from Delhi by Mumbai crime branch on Sunday. With this, all the five accused in the case have been arrested.
Earlier on Sunday, the Mumbai Police announced the arrest of the fourth accused in the gang-rape case.
The accused, Kasim Bangali, was the oldest of the five accused and was the one who sexually assaulted the victim twice.
The second accused, Vijay Jadhav, was picked up in the wee hours of Saturday from Madanpura area by the Crime branch. The third accused was also arrested on Saturday.
On Friday, an unemployed youth from south Mumbai identified as Chand Shaikh was arrested in the case. He was produced before a local court on Saturday, and has been ordered to remain in custody until August 30.
The incident took place on August 22 in Lower Parel area where the 23-year-old woman had gone for an assignment.
She was working with an English Magazine as an intern. According to police, the men tied up the friend who was accompanying her and raped the woman.
The victim, who was admitted to Jaslok Hospital, had sustained multiple internal injuries. She is stated to be in a stable condition now.
The Centre has sought a detailed report on the gang rape incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!