Mumbai gang-rape: Ujjwal Nikam appointed as public prosecutor
Pune: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today said he had requested noted criminal lawyer Ujjwal Nikam to appear as public prosecutor in the photojournalist gang-rape case.
"The case will be tried in fast-track court to ensure speedy justice to the victim," he told reporters here. Nikam, when asked whether he had accepted the state`s request, said, "The chief minister telephoned me a few minutes back and I have agreed to take up the case".
He said the state Home Minister R R Patil too had spoken to him regarding the case and he had given his consent to appear on behalf of the state.
The chief minister also requested media to protect and respect the privacy of the victim. "The state wanted to engage the best legal talent in the case and see that maximum punishment is meted out to the culprits in the gang-rape of the photojournalist," Chavan said, adding that all the five accused in the case are arrested by police.
The 23-year-old victim, working as an intern with an English Magazine, was gang-raped in the premises of the defunct Shakti Mills Compound where she had gone along with a male colleague on an official assignment to shoot pictures on August 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains of Amma brought to Rajaji Hall
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what