Mumbai gang-rape: Ujjwal Nikam appointed as public prosecutor
Pune: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today said he had requested noted criminal lawyer Ujjwal Nikam to appear as public prosecutor in the photojournalist gang-rape case.
"The case will be tried in fast-track court to ensure speedy justice to the victim," he told reporters here. Nikam, when asked whether he had accepted the state`s request, said, "The chief minister telephoned me a few minutes back and I have agreed to take up the case".
He said the state Home Minister R R Patil too had spoken to him regarding the case and he had given his consent to appear on behalf of the state.
The chief minister also requested media to protect and respect the privacy of the victim. "The state wanted to engage the best legal talent in the case and see that maximum punishment is meted out to the culprits in the gang-rape of the photojournalist," Chavan said, adding that all the five accused in the case are arrested by police.
The 23-year-old victim, working as an intern with an English Magazine, was gang-raped in the premises of the defunct Shakti Mills Compound where she had gone along with a male colleague on an official assignment to shoot pictures on August 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post