Mumbai gang-rape: Victim, male friend identify minor accused
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In the sensational Mumbai photojournalist gang-rape case, the victim and her male friend identified the first accused, whom the Mumbai Police had sent to the remand home accepting that he was a minor, during an identification parade on Wednesday.
Mumbai Police had planned to conduct test identification parade on all five accused who were involved in this case. Among the five accused in the case, the minor was the first to be arrested.
The other four arrested accused in the case are Shiraz Rehman Khan, Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali and Salim Ansari who will be in police custody till Thursday.
"Test Identification Parade (TIP) was today conducted at juvenile remand home in south Mumbai`s Dongri area where the minor accused is lodged. The victim photojournalist has identified the minor as one of the five culprits who had sexually assaulted her on August 22 in Shakti Mills compound. The victim`s male colleague has also identified the minor," said a Crime Branch official.
The 23-year-old photojournalist was sexually assaulted at a defunct and deserted Shakti Mills compound in Parel area on the evening of August 22, when she had gone there on an assignment with a male colleague.
As per the procedure, during the test identification parade (TIP), a group of persons including one suspected of having committed a crime are assembled to see if the victim and eyewitnesses can identify the suspect.
As per law, the TIP is conducted when the accused are in judicial custody and lodged in jail.
The juvenile was the first person to be arrested after the rape was reported on August 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers