Mumbai gangrape: Govt pays Rs 1.85 lakh to Jaslok hospital

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 - 13:53

Mumbai: Maharashtra government has cleared the bills of Jaslok Hospital, where the 23-year-old photojournalist, gangraped at a defunct mill complex last month, was treated.

The victim was discharged from the hospital a week after being admitted, after doctors attending on her declared her "medically fit".

"The medical expenses bill of the rape victim has been paid to Jaslok Hospital from the CM`s Relief Fund. The paid amount is Rs 1,85,859," a spokesperson for Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Tuesday.

"Chavan had earlier announced that the government would bear her medical expenses," he said.

The victim, an intern with an English magazine, was gangraped by five men on August 22 when she and her male colleague had gone to the deserted mill compound in Lower Parel on an assignment.

The incident triggered outrage across the country and was condemned as despicable and shameful.

The spokesperson also announced that Rs 93,509 have been paid from the CM`s Relief Find to S L Raheja Hospital, towards treatment of a woman whom a pizza boy tried to rape in her house in Worli.

The incident took place on June 25, when the woman ordered a pizza from a shop. As she opened the door, the accused, a school drop out, barged in, dragged her to the kitchen and attempted to rape her.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 - 13:53

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus