Mumbai gas leak: 65 patients discharged
Nearly 65 people out of the total 120, who were admitted in various hospitals after inhaling Chlorine gas which leaked from a cylinder near the Bombay Port Trust, have been discharged.
Mumbai: Nearly 65 people out of the total 120, who were admitted in various hospitals after inhaling Chlorine gas which leaked from a cylinder near the Bombay Port
Trust, have been discharged, officials said on Thursday.
65 patients have been discharged so far and some more are likely to be discharged by this evening, a civic body official said.
"Nobody is in critical condition. Most of the patients were discharged yesterday and this morning," Dr PP Lahane, Dean of JJ hospital said, adding due to intake of chlorine gas
patients developed breathlessness and were facing burning sensation in eyes, on face and hands.
The police had last night filed an FIR against unidentified persons in connection with the gas leak under various sections of IPC and Environment Protection Act.
At least 120 people were admitted in King Edward Memorial hospital, JJ, Bombay Port Trust (BPT) and Balaji hospitals when they took ill after inhaling Chlorine gas which leaked yesterday from one of the imported cylinders lying in Bombay Port Trust`s (BPT) Hay Bandar premises for 13 years.
According to police and fire brigade officials, the affected persons included college students, BPT staff and firemen.
Work to dispose of gas cylinders was underway, the officials said.
BPT, Police and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation are jointly conducting a probe into the incident while the Ministry of Shipping has sought a detailed report from the
Port Trust authorities.
According to an official press release, 136 cylinders, including the one from which the gas escaped, had been lying on BPT`s Hay Bandar premises for last several years. These
had been imported in 1997 but the importers did not take delivery, it said.
"Bombay Port Trust is checking its records to find out whether any action had been taken for disposal of the hazardous material in the past," the release said.