Mumbai hawkers protest at Azad Maidan defying MNS threat
Mumbai: Notwithstanding a Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) threat, hawkers on Thursday staged a sit-in at Azad Maidan here, to voice their various demands.
MNS chief Raj Thackeray had recently warned hawkers, not to stage protests or else face "MNS-style" action, but they went ahead with the protest today.
Madan Jaiswal, a 40-year-old hawker operating in Santacruz (East), died during a recent eviction drive ordered by ACP Vasant Dhoble. Hawkers had claimed that Dhoble assaulted Jaiswal, but medical reports said he died of brain hemorrhage.
Azad Hawkers` Union said that the protest was not aimed at ACP Dhoble, but against the delay in implementation the National Vendors` Policy by the state government and the aggressive anti-hawker drive by the police in the past few weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing