Mumbai hawkers protest at Azad Maidan defying MNS threat
Mumbai: Notwithstanding a Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) threat, hawkers on Thursday staged a sit-in at Azad Maidan here, to voice their various demands.
MNS chief Raj Thackeray had recently warned hawkers, not to stage protests or else face "MNS-style" action, but they went ahead with the protest today.
Madan Jaiswal, a 40-year-old hawker operating in Santacruz (East), died during a recent eviction drive ordered by ACP Vasant Dhoble. Hawkers had claimed that Dhoble assaulted Jaiswal, but medical reports said he died of brain hemorrhage.
Azad Hawkers` Union said that the protest was not aimed at ACP Dhoble, but against the delay in implementation the National Vendors` Policy by the state government and the aggressive anti-hawker drive by the police in the past few weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price