Mumbai hawkers protest at Azad Maidan defying MNS threat
Mumbai: Notwithstanding a Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) threat, hawkers on Thursday staged a sit-in at Azad Maidan here, to voice their various demands.
MNS chief Raj Thackeray had recently warned hawkers, not to stage protests or else face "MNS-style" action, but they went ahead with the protest today.
Madan Jaiswal, a 40-year-old hawker operating in Santacruz (East), died during a recent eviction drive ordered by ACP Vasant Dhoble. Hawkers had claimed that Dhoble assaulted Jaiswal, but medical reports said he died of brain hemorrhage.
Azad Hawkers` Union said that the protest was not aimed at ACP Dhoble, but against the delay in implementation the National Vendors` Policy by the state government and the aggressive anti-hawker drive by the police in the past few weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors