Mumbai is for Marathis: Bal Thackeray to Mukesh Ambani
Mumbai: Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray has attacked industrialist Mukesh Ambani over his recent statement that Mumbai belongs to all Indians.
"Marathi people have as much right over Mumbai as Mukesh Ambani has over Reliance companies," Thackeray said in an article published in Sena mouthpiece `Saamana.`
"Mumbai is Maharashtra`s capital and will remain its capital. Don`t meddle in the path of Mumbai and Marathi manoos ," he said.
Thackeray said, "when `Pandit Mukesh Ambani` says Mumbai, Chennai and Delhi belong to all Indians, why has he left out cities likes Ahmedabad, Jamnagar and Rajkot".
Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani had recently said the controversy over making knowledge of Marathi mandatory for issuing taxi permits in Mumbai was `unfortunate` and the metropolis belongs to all Indians.
"We are all Indians first. Mumbai, Chennai and Delhi belong to all Indians. That is the reality," he had said during a panel discussion at the London School of Economics.
In November, the Sena chief had asked cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar not to "dabble" in politics.
"He should stick to the cricket wicket and not meddle with the pitch of politics. The right to decide who comes to Mumbai is our right, not his," the Sena chief had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!