Mumbai land row; CM`s mom-in-law in list
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan has sought information on the row over the allotment of a prime plot of land to Adarsh Co-operative Housing Society
but it has now emerged that the members include his late mother-in-law Bhagwati Manoharlal Sharma.
Chavan was unavailable for comment.
The name of Sharma, who died in July here, appears in the official list submitted by the society whose beneficiaries include former services chiefs, politicians and bureaucrats.
Bhagwati Manoharlal Sharma, 77, passed away at `Varsha`, the Chief Minister`s official residence in July.
A controversy has erupted over how the Adarsh society in Colaba, originally meant to be a six-storey structure to house Kargil war heroes and widows, got converted into a
31-storey tower through collusion of bureaucrats, politicians and top defence officers.
The highrise is built on 6,450 sq metres within the Colaba naval area and was cleared on the condition of housing war veterans but now has 104 members including senior army
commanders, a former environment minister, legislators and state bureaucrats.
Former chief secretary DK Sankaran`s son, Sanjoy, is among the allottees.
Mumbai collector Chandrashekhar Oke, who was asked to submit a comprehensive report on the status of the building land, has submitted a preliminary report which will help
resolve the issue of whether the land belongs to the defence or the state revenue department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends