Mumbai lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha`s killer sentenced to life
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Mumbai: A Mumbai court on Monday pronounced the quantum of sentence in the Pallavi Purkayastha murder case and awarded life sentence to Sajjad A Mogal, the security guard of the building, who killed the woman lawyer.
The court had earlier found Mogal guilty of molestation, criminal trespass and murder of Purkayastha, the daughter of a senior bureaucrat couple, in Mumbai two years ago.
The accused, Sajjad A Mogal, 23, was working at Himalayan Heights skyscraper in Wadala in south Mumbai where Pallavi Purkayastha (25) lived at the time of the attack on August 09, 2012.
Purkayastha was killed after she fought off Mogal`s advances in her home and complained to her fiancé Avik Sengupta.
Sessions Judge Vrushali Joshi, pronouncing Mogal guilty, had said that "a case of murder, molestation and criminal trespass has been proved" against him.
After painstaking investigations, the police filed a 434-page chargesheet against Mogal in October 2012. During the trial, a total of 43 witnesses were examined.
Mogal refuted all allegations and his lawyer Wahab Khan contended that the victim`s fiancé Sengupta had killed her in their flat.
The police investigations revealed that Mogal, hailing from Jammu and Kashmir and posted as a watchman in the building, used to ogle at Pallavi whenever she passed by.
Later, in his statement, Mogal confessed that using a duplicate key, he entered Purkayastha`s flat and attempted to force himself on her.
However, she resisted and started screaming at which he panicked and attacked her with a knife he was carrying, he said in the statement.
Shortly after the ruling, the parents - Atanu Purkayastha, a joint secretary at the Centre when Pallavi was killed, and mother Sunita, who is director-general in the Ministry of Telecommunications - expressed satisfaction with the police investigations and the verdict.
Avik Sengupta, who was one of the witnesses in the case and had deposed in the trial, died of natural causes in November 2013.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’