Mumbai lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha`s killer sentenced to life
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Mumbai: A Mumbai court on Monday pronounced the quantum of sentence in the Pallavi Purkayastha murder case and awarded life sentence to Sajjad A Mogal, the security guard of the building, who killed the woman lawyer.
The court had earlier found Mogal guilty of molestation, criminal trespass and murder of Purkayastha, the daughter of a senior bureaucrat couple, in Mumbai two years ago.
The accused, Sajjad A Mogal, 23, was working at Himalayan Heights skyscraper in Wadala in south Mumbai where Pallavi Purkayastha (25) lived at the time of the attack on August 09, 2012.
Purkayastha was killed after she fought off Mogal`s advances in her home and complained to her fiancé Avik Sengupta.
Sessions Judge Vrushali Joshi, pronouncing Mogal guilty, had said that "a case of murder, molestation and criminal trespass has been proved" against him.
After painstaking investigations, the police filed a 434-page chargesheet against Mogal in October 2012. During the trial, a total of 43 witnesses were examined.
Mogal refuted all allegations and his lawyer Wahab Khan contended that the victim`s fiancé Sengupta had killed her in their flat.
The police investigations revealed that Mogal, hailing from Jammu and Kashmir and posted as a watchman in the building, used to ogle at Pallavi whenever she passed by.
Later, in his statement, Mogal confessed that using a duplicate key, he entered Purkayastha`s flat and attempted to force himself on her.
However, she resisted and started screaming at which he panicked and attacked her with a knife he was carrying, he said in the statement.
Shortly after the ruling, the parents - Atanu Purkayastha, a joint secretary at the Centre when Pallavi was killed, and mother Sunita, who is director-general in the Ministry of Telecommunications - expressed satisfaction with the police investigations and the verdict.
Avik Sengupta, who was one of the witnesses in the case and had deposed in the trial, died of natural causes in November 2013.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!