Mumbai lawyers protest on jurisdiction issue
Mumbai: More than 5,000 lawyers affiliated to Bombay City Civil and Sessions Court Bar Association on Wednesday abstained from work to protest against a Maharashtra government legislation which limits the jurisdiction of the civil courts in financial matters to Rs 1 crore.
The Association has been demanding unlimited jurisdiction for the civil courts here for nearly three decades, arguing that courts hearing civil matters in various districts of Maharashtra have unlimited financial jurisdiction.
The state assembly passed an act last month to limit the pecuniary jurisdiction of the civil courts in Mumbai to suits valued up to Rs 1 crore, on the ground that they do not have the necessary infrastructure.
"We are agitating for the last 30 years without any positive response from the government and judiciary. When the cadre of city civil courts has been made on par with district judges who have unlimited pecuniary jurisdiction, then why there has been discrimination in Mumbai," said Amin Solkar, senior executive member of Bombay City Civil and Sessions Court Bar Association.
"Mumbai Courts have received step-motherly treatment."
Few litigants and lawyers attended courts today. Only urgent matters such as extension of bail and remand were taken up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India