Mumbai: Man held for raping seven-year-old girl
Mumbai: A 32-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday for allegedly repeatedly sexually abusing a seven-year-girl from his neighbourhood in suburban Mumbai, police said.
Shashikant Ojha, employed at a restaurant, was apprehended from his hut in the suburban Sahar area for repeatedly raping the class II student on the pretext of offering her chocolates and showing rabbits, they said.
According to police, Ojha had sexually assaulted the minor at least 3-4 times, latest on January 4, while picking her up on her way to tuitions.
He would threaten the girl with dire consequences if she revealed about it to anyone.
"The girl was under stress and was too scared to reveal the matter to anyone. She would often mumble in her sleep," said a police officer.
The incident came to the light today after her parents took her into confidence after noticing change in her behaviour and lodged a complaint with Sahar police.
Ojha was arrested after the girl took the police to the hut where she was raped by the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- US aid to Pakistan shrinks amid mounting frustration over militants
- SC asks Parsvnath to refund home buyers; builder says it can't repay
- Supreme Court admits plea to declare triple talaq illegal; issues notice to Centre
- Philippine govt, Communist rebels agree on indefinite truce: Norway
- Italy earthquake toll rises to 267