Mumbai Metro inaugurated, hit by technical glitch on day one
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The much-awaited metro service in Mumbai was inaugurated on Sunday after Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan flagged off the first line between Versova-Ghatkopar.
“Mumbai Metro will make commuting easier for office-goers and daily travellers,” said Chavan.
Chavan along with RInfra chairman Anil Ambani and his wife Tina Ambani took the first ride from Versova till Ghatkopar.
Technical snag hit metro service on the first day which stranded the metro at Jagrati Nagar station for half an hour, as per news reports.
The inauguration took place after controversy over the hike in proposed metro fares from Rs 9, Rs 11 and Rs 13 to Rs 10-40.
Earlier, the upset Maharashtra CM even threatened to boycott the inauguration ceremony only if the operator -- Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd (MMOPL) decides to implement the increased fare.
Meanwhile, the MMOPL issued a statement on Saturday and stated that it is going ahead with the operation of the metro services and will be charging promotional fare of Rs 10 from customers for the first 30 days for single trip.
Constructed at a cost of Rs 4,300 crore, the 11.40 km metro line between Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar will be inaugurated at around 10 am today.
There will be 12 elevated metro station on the route between the two stations.
Metro services will be available from 5:30 am till 12 am in the night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof