Mumbai Metro inaugurated, hit by technical glitch on day one
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The much-awaited metro service in Mumbai was inaugurated on Sunday after Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan flagged off the first line between Versova-Ghatkopar.
“Mumbai Metro will make commuting easier for office-goers and daily travellers,” said Chavan.
Chavan along with RInfra chairman Anil Ambani and his wife Tina Ambani took the first ride from Versova till Ghatkopar.
Technical snag hit metro service on the first day which stranded the metro at Jagrati Nagar station for half an hour, as per news reports.
The inauguration took place after controversy over the hike in proposed metro fares from Rs 9, Rs 11 and Rs 13 to Rs 10-40.
Earlier, the upset Maharashtra CM even threatened to boycott the inauguration ceremony only if the operator -- Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd (MMOPL) decides to implement the increased fare.
Meanwhile, the MMOPL issued a statement on Saturday and stated that it is going ahead with the operation of the metro services and will be charging promotional fare of Rs 10 from customers for the first 30 days for single trip.
Constructed at a cost of Rs 4,300 crore, the 11.40 km metro line between Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar will be inaugurated at around 10 am today.
There will be 12 elevated metro station on the route between the two stations.
Metro services will be available from 5:30 am till 12 am in the night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip