Mumbai Metro: PIL alleges violation of rules
Mumbai: In a trouble for Mumbai Metro phase I (Versova- Andheri-Ghatkopar), a public interest litigation
filed in the Bombay High Court has alleged violation of
Development Control Regulations (DCRs) and fire safety norms.
Petitioner Monica Matani claims that the city fire
department granted No Objection Certificate to the project
without proper verifications. Besides, the state Urban
Development Department, planning body MMRDA and Brihanmumbai
Municipal Corporation (BMC) violated several rules, and have
put lives of the citizens living near the upcoming metro
stations as well as that of potential commuters in danger,
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and
Justice Ranjit More today asked the Chief Fire Officer of
BMC to file a reply within four weeks.
The petition claims that construction of
Versova-Ghatkopar stretch started in February 2008, but
application for NOC of fire department was made only in
December 2009, after Matani had sought information about it
under the Right to Information Act.
Subsequently, a blanket NOC for all the 12 station
buildings was given, whereas the DCR and Maharashtra Fire
Prevention and Life Safety Measures Act require a separate
permission for each building, it says.
Apart from cancellation of the NOC, the PIL has also
prayed for stay to the construction of these 12 stations.
The phase I of the project is expected to be completed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened