Mumbai Monorail to be commissioned by year-end
Mumbai: Engineering major Larsen & Toubro
and Malaysia`s Scomi Group are expected to commission the
first phase of Mumbai Monorail, India`s first such system, by
end of this year.
The Rs 2,460-crore project, an initiative of the
Mumbai Metropolitan Regional Development Authority (MMRDA), is
a modern urban transport where cars move on a single beam in
an elevated corridor.
The project involves design, construction,
installation, testing and commissioning from Wadala and
Chembur via Mahul (approximately 9 kilometres) in Phase I and
Gadge Maharaj Chowk to Wadala (approximately 11 kilometres) in
"Phase I, from Wadala to Chembur, is expected to be
completed and commissioned by this year-end. The second phase
is expected to be completed by December 2011," L&T`s executive
vice-president & head -- corporate initiatives, Shailendra Roy
told reporters here.
He was speaking at the monorail`s trial run, which was
attended by Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
"The second phase of the monorail is expected to be
completed next year. About three to three-and-a-half-lakh
commuters, mainly the city`s working class, will benefit
from this air-conditioned transport system," Chavan said.
The two routes will have 15 sets of four-car trains
plying at each station after every four minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi