Mumbai Monorail to be commissioned by year-end
Mumbai: Engineering major Larsen & Toubro
and Malaysia`s Scomi Group are expected to commission the
first phase of Mumbai Monorail, India`s first such system, by
end of this year.
The Rs 2,460-crore project, an initiative of the
Mumbai Metropolitan Regional Development Authority (MMRDA), is
a modern urban transport where cars move on a single beam in
an elevated corridor.
The project involves design, construction,
installation, testing and commissioning from Wadala and
Chembur via Mahul (approximately 9 kilometres) in Phase I and
Gadge Maharaj Chowk to Wadala (approximately 11 kilometres) in
"Phase I, from Wadala to Chembur, is expected to be
completed and commissioned by this year-end. The second phase
is expected to be completed by December 2011," L&T`s executive
vice-president & head -- corporate initiatives, Shailendra Roy
told reporters here.
He was speaking at the monorail`s trial run, which was
attended by Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
"The second phase of the monorail is expected to be
completed next year. About three to three-and-a-half-lakh
commuters, mainly the city`s working class, will benefit
from this air-conditioned transport system," Chavan said.
The two routes will have 15 sets of four-car trains
plying at each station after every four minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh