Mumbai: Mother held for battering 3-month-old baby Ahuti to death
Mumbai: The mother of three-month-old baby girl, who died of suspected battering while undergoing treatment in KEM Hospital, was arrested on Thursday on the charge of murdering her daughter.
Earlier today, the police registered a murder case in connection with the death of the girl Ahuti Joshi.
"Ahuti`s mother Dharmishtha Joshi confessed to have beaten up her baby girl very badly as she was continously crying. She also claimed that she hit her baby on her ribs and head in a fit of rage and not because she did not want her daughter," Borivali police station senior inspector Bhagwan Chate said.
The police claimed the baby girl`s father Kalpesh Joshi is innocent in this case. The accused will be produced in court tomorrow.
The baby girl died on Sunday during treatment after she was admitted by her parents to central Mumbai`s civil-run KEM hospital with a skull fracture last week, the police said.
The hospital`s paediatric department found that she had multiple skull fractures and also suffered from internal bleeding, the police said.
When her parents failed to give a satisfactory explanation for her injuries, doctors notified the police.
However, after the girl died of injuries on Sunday, the police had registered it as an accidental death.
Later, preliminary postmortem findings confirmed that the baby girl had injuries on both sides of the skull, which were unlikely to be caused by an accidental fall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery