Mumbai murder committed by unverified security guard?
Srinagar: The murder of a woman lawyer in Mumbai, allegedly by a private security guard hailing from Kashmir, is the result of mushrooming of unregistered private security companies across the country that do not verify their security guards as per industry norms, a top expert Saturday said.
Anil Puri, executive director of APS Group, country`s premier private security company, told reporters in Srinagar: "The incident is shocking and unfortunate. Our association (of security agencies) has laid down procedures for the appointment of security guards which include police verification, character verification, training and capacity building."
Pallavi Purkayastha, 25 was allegedly murdered Thursday by a security guard Sajad Ahmed Mughal by slitting her throat in a Mumbai apartment. Mughal belongs to Uri tehsil of Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
"The problem is that there are numerous unregistered security agencies in the country and it is there that such problems arise," Puri said.
Puri said steps are being taken that the government seeks mandatory registration from all the private security agencies in the country.
"We are also holding programmes on self-regulation and ethics for the staff working with registered security companies in the country", Puri presently on a private visit to the Valley said here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends